[Yaesu] FT-1000 Filter tracking

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000 Filter tracking
From: rikik@inter.net.il (rikik@inter.net.il)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 12:33:19 -0800
Several months ago, I put out a query on this reflector regarding the
tracking of the filters in the FT-1000D.  I had expressed
disappointment with the fact that adjusting the shift and width
controls for optimum reception with 250 Hz bandwidth required
resetting at the broader bandwidths.  In other words, the filters
appeared to not be properly tracking.

The following results should be of interest and hopefully will help
other FT-1000 owners.

About 80% of the replies to my query said that they had no tracking
problems, i.e., they could set up the shift and width controls with
250 Hz bandwidth and not have to reset those controls when switching
to 500 Hz.  About 20% indicated that they had the same trouble that I
mentioned.  A few of these said that this is perfectly normal (that is
what the dealer had told me).  My good friend, K1ZM, made a call to
Yaesu for me and was told that yes, this is normal, but only for
radios lacking the optional 250 Hz filter.  Yaesu said that installing
the optional 250 Hz filter would solve the problem.

I'm happy to confirm that this is correct.  I've installed the
optional filter, and this has solved the tracking problem (besides
improving narrowband performance as expected).

I should mention that the commercial advertisements (and
correspondence with dealers) is not clear about what filters are
included in the FT-1000D.  I thought that my radio included all the
options, and not until much later did I realize that the 250 Hz filter
was optional and not in my radio.  Part of the misunderstanding was
also due to Yaesu changing the part numbers for the filters so that it
was difficult to tell what was in the radio if you tried to determine
that by referring to their manuals.

While I am on the subject, I would also like to say that while the
FT-1000D is a fabulous radio, I find the technical documentation to be
very poor. I have bought the additional manual that is titled
"Technical Supplement". Except for the brief section on calibration,
there is no narrative description of how the radio works.  There is
only a huge block diagram,  which would challenge even an experienced
R-F design engineer to comprehend.  The "Technical Supplement" is
little more than an accumulation of parts lists, schematics, and
mechanical layouts.  Perhaps there is another document available that
I don't have which gives detailed,in-depth,  theory of operation,
etc.????

If you know of any additional technical documentation that is
available, I would be very grateful to receive any details (titles,
description of contents, where obtained, etc.)

73,
Riki, 4X4NJ