[Yaesu] FT-847 power on/off switch failure

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-847 power on/off switch failure
From: Alan Kaul" <alan.kaul@worldnet.att.net (Alan Kaul)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:52:28 -0700
I've had to replace the front panel on-off switch... as had a friend who also
owns the FT-847.  Coincidentally, I know of two others who had similar failures.

Another friend suggests that the radio's design is what causes the switches to
burn out -- that in manufacturing, Yaesu omitted a reverse diode from across the
contacts of the relay used to switch the power on-off .

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

Is there a modification suggested?

My rig, incidentally, was out of warranty and the fix was about $120 and an 8-10
week turn around time at the Yaesu shop in California..

Anyone else have a similar problem with the FT-847??

Alan Kaul, W6RCL, LaCanada, CA
w6rcl@amsat.org
http://home.att.net/~alan.kaul/index.html