[Yaesu] Oscillating FT

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Oscillating FT
From: wsanders@wsanders.net (W Sanders)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:34:11 -0800
The oscillation might be coming from one of the transmitter stages. Make sure
the final stage is not self-oscillating! My FT-101 self-oscillated once during
a reneutralization attempt - it produced a loud "farting" noise when it was on
  the 10M band, followed quickly by the smell of hot (but fortunately not
burned-out) circuitry. Self oscillation is more likely to occur on higher
bands and with the "twitchy" 6JS6C-based finals of the 101. I think later
models switched to different tubes.

Also, reciever oscillations can be caused by the extra resistance and
capacitance of cold solder connections or bad components - an old heathkit
receiver I have oscillated like crazy until I hunted down the cold solder
connections. Once resoldered, it worked fine.

-Wiley KF6IIU