[Yaesu] Re: FT1000 and FL2100B

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: FT1000 and FL2100B
From: wsanders@wsanders.net (Wiley Sanders)
Date: Thu Jan 30 13:16:36 2003
Be very careful, if you don't understand the conenctions, you might damage
your FT1000. My FL2100B has screw terminals on the back for TX and ALC. I have
not operated my FL2100B since I got it (it was given to me 6 years ago and
I've never had a circuit to plug it into) but the TX relay could source a lot
of current, and exceed the 1000's ability. RTM (read the manual) to find out
what the current capability of the 1000's TX output is, and measure the
current on the FL2100B. My FT-101 sink 180ma on its PTT switch, beyond the
limits of most recent transistor rigs.

The ALC output of the FL2100B as far as I can tell is a whopping -15V or so.
Don't know about the 1000, but most recent Icom rigs accept 0 to -4V for ALC
input. Again, RTM to make sure you won't blow out your rig's ALC input.

(My FL2100B has never been operated, even though it's 25+ years old. My Dad,
SK, bought it and never used it. I've powered it up from time to time, and it
didn't blow up, so as far as I know it works. Unfortunately, there is only one
15A circuit going to the shack. One of these days I will rig a 220V extension
cord and connect the amp to the dryer outlet, which is right outside the
shack. At 220V, the amp will draw only 10A, which is reasonable for a 20-ft
extension cord. On the other hand, a 20-ft extension cord could be a good
20-ft antenna! I would only use the amp for CW and digital modes, so ALC level
conversion should not be necessary.)

-wiley KF6IIU