[Yaesu] Mark V Field Power Output Mod

To: "a Yaesu E-Group" <yaesu@contesting.com>,"a 1000MP QTH e-List" <1000mp@mailman.qth.net>,<FT-1000MP@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Mark V Field Power Output Mod
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <kn4lf@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:28:13 -0400
Justin et all,

The Mark V Field power modification is simple but it will attract naysayers
that will warn of power supply damage/failure, finals failure, degraded
transmitted spectral purity, etc.

Pop the top and bottom covers. Gently turn the rig upside down on a hard
surface with the front of the rig facing you. There are three boards visible.
One is the "Control" board on the left side, the "AF" board on the back right
side and the "IF/Filter" board on the front right side. Go to VR3003 on the AF
board and turn it clockwise. It's marked "RF Power" (I think it was). Fully
clockwise gives you 190 watts in the CW mode on 14200 kc, 200 watts on 1845 kc
and 180 watts on 28400 kc. Of course connect an antenna with low VSWR or a good
dummy load.

I've tested the rig extensively at 175 watts on CW and RTTY and have suffered
no component failures, overheating, etc. and no transmit spectral degradation.
Of course like all mods. make it at your own risk.