[Yaesu] FT-101ZD TR Relay Problem?

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-101ZD TR Relay Problem?
From: "Dennis L. Wade" <dwade@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:49:46 -0700
Hello,

After almost 15 years, I've dragged out my gear from storage to get back on the air. Recently, I've erected an antenna and hooked everything up, so there is no real "it worked fine yesterday" frame of reference.

The problem I noticed was that sometimes, but not all, on returning to receive from transmit, the signal levels would be considerably down from their "normal" levels. This low receive condition would persist for a long time, only occasionally returning to normal levels. After some investigation, I've concluded that the TR relay is probably at fault with fouled contacts. What threw me was the lack of symptoms on transmit: I thought I'd see erratic SWR and or power out indications, but apparently the problem is limited to the receive side. Only the one contact is dirty? I'll have to open it up and see. Any one else have a similar problem? Any other likely suspects?

While I have the thing open, is there any other preventative maintenance I should perform? My `ZD has remarkably low hours, and is in nearly mint condidtion having been stored in the original plastic in their original boxes. But, 15 years is 15 years...and I'd like to head off any problems if I can.

Did Yaesu offer an AM board for this unit? Just how pricey is it these days?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dennis

Dennis Wade
KG6ZI