[Yaesu] Solar Panel

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] Solar Panel
From: K5XS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:44:12 EDT
To go with my FT-897D, I have picked up a 12 watt (12 volts and 1 amp)  solar
charger.  I am hoping to use it to charge my batteries.
But looking at the Yaesu CD-24 Rapid Charger, I see it needs 13.8V at 2.3
Does anyone know if a trickle charger exists for the 897?
Also, I am pretty ignorant of solar charging protocols.  Are they  current
limited?  What would happen if I hooked up a 1 amp solar panel to a  charger
looking for 2 amps?  Would the current demand harm the solar  panel?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Bernie K5XS