Re: [Yaesu] Yaesu FT990 opinions wanted

To: John Geiger <n5ten@yahoo.com>,"yaesu@contesting.com" <yaesu@contesting.com>,"yaesu@mailman.qth.net" <yaesu@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] Yaesu FT990 opinions wanted
From: Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:21:33 -0400
I find mine to be an adequate rig for DXing and contesting.  It does not have a
second VFO knob, and it does not have a second receiver.  So, working pileups
is no different than the older vintage radios.  The radio lacks a monitor
feature on SSB which i find annoying.  Loaded with filters the CW quality is
decent to good with digital filtering and a notch filter that work pretty well.
 I've found mine to be susceptible to near frequency pumping and that has cause
some problems in pileups on 80 meters.

I find my 990s fan to get whiny after a while and the pitch sounds like a mouse
that is getting crushed.

The auto tuner works well and is pretty quick.

Others?

73 Rich NN3W