[3830] K6LA ARRL DX CW SOABHP Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K6LA ARRL DX CW SOABHP Unassisted
From: Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net (Ken Widelitz)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:18:48 -0800
                                ARRL DX CONTEST

     Call used: K6LA                                           Location: CA

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 1500

     Callsign of Operator: K6LA

     Hours of Operation:  About 43

     band      QSOs      points    mults
      160         10          30         6
       80         60         180       26
       40        501       1503      70
      20        215         645       72
      15        591        1773      81
      10        421        1263      67
TOTAL     1798        5394     322      SCORE: 1,736,868

      Club or Team Name: SCCC

        Equipment Description:
        TS-950SDX (2), Alpha 87A (2),
        DuneStar  Bandpass Filters, TopTen Automatic Stub Selection Boxes
and
        Band Decoders, DuneStar antenna phasing boxes for stacks.

      160 Meters:    Force 12 Vertical, elevated 12'
        80 Meters:    Force 12 EF180S rotating dipole @ 77'
        40 Meters:    Force 12 EF340 3 element monobander @ 72'
        20 Meters:    Force 12 EF420 4 element monobanders stacked at
85'/53'
        15/10 Meters: Force 12 EF515/410 5 element on 15 / 4 element on 10
                      interlaced on one boom, stacked at 53'/33'

     Comments:

 40 meters both nights from about 0230 - 0700 was as good to EU as I've ever
heard from the West Coast. I even ran some low power EU station Sat night,
which is the first time I've ever run EU on 40 from here.

The 20 meter EU opening Sat morning featured polar flutter so bad it sounded
like a complete echo. It made things so hard to copy, I moved early to 15
where things were much better. The dismal 20 meter QSO total reflects that.

Not much in the way of great DX the entire weekend. I never heard JY9 or
MJ0. I only worked VQ9 cause I heard someone calling VQ9 repeatedly. The
only neat opening was Sunday at 2230, while beaming JA, TF3DX called in. I
moved him to 15 and then to 20, where he was loudest of all, so I tried 40
but it was no go.

This was my 1st ARRL DX contest from home. I've done it from XE2 a few
times. Overall, not as much activity and mults as CQWW, but on the other
hand, no hours in the single digits. And being in the SW division, I don't
have to directly compete with W6AX.

Actually, I think I set a Southwest division record, but my QST collection
doesn't go back too far. Is there anywhere that I can find out the SW
division record in this contest?

 Ken Widelitz, K6LA, Ken Six Los Angeles, K6LA@GTEMAIL.NET