[3830] CQ160 SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SOHP
From: mholmavu@orion.pspt.fi (Marko Holmavuo)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:03:25 +0200
                      CQ 160 METER CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: OH4JFN                   Country:  Finland
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator

               QSO   QSO PTS  STATES COUNTRIES

     Totals    653    3560      10      59    =   245,640

Club Affiliation: Contest Club Finland

                             Signature Marko Holmavuo

Comments:

First 160m SOHP contest was quite ok. I didn't get my score target, but some
good reason to be QRV in next year. I didn't slept enough at saturday(didn't
feel tired), so I made some black moments at second night, missed maybe very
important qsos and maybe mults.
This contest was just like others...last antenna projects was made couple of
hours before contest (like beverages)...But it wasn't enough, even a rig was
new for me. FT1000MP is great rig, even better than I expected(tnx Olli). It
was new for me so it was quite hard to use it to most effective way...(no 500hz
filter at second vfo, noticed that it's very useful). Second thing what caused
lower score that I expected was the lack of power. Amp did fine job, but it
didn't never give a OH-legal limit ;), so I do this better way at next time.
Antenna was in very good shape, but noticed that there should be more than one
antenna. I knew that caribian area would be hard, it was...USA was better than
I expected...but still no usa-stations at first night. Very big mistake from my
side!! If I remember right W8LRL had a superior signal...
I also missed 3 "sure" countries(heard them once) VERY BIG MISTAKE!!

Station was in very good shape (tnx JUKKA oh4mfa). A little job with the
antenna at next summer but it looks very great!! It was amazing to find
sometimes very high f/b ratio.

73, OH4JFN

PS. Maybe I will be qrv ssb-part!