AB6FO CW SS Score & Comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: AB6FO CW SS Score & Comments
From: KWIDELITZ@delphi.com (KWIDELITZ@delphi.com)
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 20:05:55 -0500 (EST)
                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1996

      Call: AB6FO                    Section:  LAX
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator
                                               High Power

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS
       80      121      242        -
       40      499      998        -
       20      556     1112        -
       15       98      196        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals   1274     2548       78

               Score:  198,744

Equipment Description:

TS-950SD,  TS-950SDX, Alpha 87A, Dentron MLA 2500 (see  comments)
DuneStar  Bandpass Filters, TopTen Automatic Stub Selection Boxes  and
Band Decoders, DuneStar antenna phasing boxes for stacks.

80 Meters:    Force 12 EF180S rotating dipole @ 77'
40 Meters:    Force 12 EF340 3 element monobander @ 72'
20 Meters:    Force 12 EF420 4 element monobanders stacked at 85'/53'
15/10 Meters: Force 12 EF515/410 5 element on 15 / 4 element on 10
              interlaced on one boom, stacked at 53'/33'

Club Affiliation: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

While there may never be a good time for Murphy to visit, at least  he
had the courtesy to visit Wednesday night before the contest. When  he
was  finished screwing up the PIN diodes on one of my Alpha  87A's  at
least he left me enough time to pull the old Dentron out of the closet
and get it set up. The only time Murphy visited during the contest was
to make the image on my computer monitor start to swim  intermittently
by having the sides curl in on the display. Just when I though I might
get seasick, it stopped.

I thought I was going to get to have a new antenna system up and use a
new call for this one, but the FCC didn't cooperate. I did replace the
PRO96  and now have fully maxed out my 45' X 145' city  lot.  80/40/20
are on the telescoping tower and the 10/15 is on the shorter tower  on
the roof. I also took the opportunity to replace all the coax with the
best  stuff I could get short of hard line (can't use hard line  on  a
telescoping tower!) I get the sense that I now have less  interference
between  the  two radios than I did before, though when on  40  it  is
difficult  to  use  the  second radio on most of  20,  even  with  the
bandpass filters and stubs on both radios. I also get the sense  there
is less TVI/RFI.

I've left myself post mortem notes the last few years on strategy  and
the two that have cropped up every time that I have ignored are:
1. Start on 20, and 2. Get in the trenches, 14025 - 14050. This year I
finally followed my advice and got off to my best start ever with a 91
1st hour and 96 2nd hour. But I didn't make my goal of a 100 hour.

Another  note from last year was to move to 40 early. I followed  that
advice  too,  going at 2345, but that might have been a  mistake.  The
last 10 rate meter was in the 70/80s on 20 and dropped to 60/70s after
the  move,  even though 40 seemed busier than 20 at the time.  20  was
still going well, no New England, but most of the rest of the country.

I  was  working all over the country on 40, New  England,  the  South,
Midwest and West, but the rate just wasn't there. I've seen the  notes
about  how bad 40 was. It didn't seem bad as signals were fairly  loud
from  all over the country. I don't know why the rate wasn't there.  I
fell  behind last year by the 6th hour and never caught up.  I  should
have saved off time for the last three hours, as those rates were  32,
34 and 22. Somehow after rates in the 90's, 80', 70's, 60's, its  hard
to keep going after 12 straight hours when the rate drops to the  40's
and  50's. But I've got to tell myself those rates late at night  when
I'm tired are much better than the rates at the end of the contest, at
least at this point in the sunspot cycle.

On the positive side, it seems the antennas did some good, as my score
didn't  fall off as much from last year's as some of the other  scores
I've seen posted. And I think I must have been loud because the  small
slot  I  found  to  CQ in seemed to get a little  wider  after  a  few
minutes.  I also had a number of Europeans call me Sunday  morning  on
20.  I'm  looking  forward  to CQWW with the 20  stack.

Also  on  the positive side was the relative ease of getting  a  sweep
this  year.  I heard K8HVT/KP2 in the first hour, but wanted  the  100
rate and didn't break off my run to go for him. I figured he'd be easy
to find and work on 15 on Sunday, and that turned out to be the  case.
WY  and PAC were found on the second radio Saturday evening. The  only
other  tough  one  was  VE8/VY1.  That  section  makes  for  my   only
interesting  anecdote. I heard VY1JA in QSO with VE3EJ. As soon  as  I
heard the VY1, I got real excited and ready to pounce. But Jay started
rag  chewing with VE3EJ. It seemed like an hour, but was  probably  30
seconds.  After they finished exchanging pleasantries, I dumped in  my
call.  I guess Jay must have called VE3EJ and it was  EJ's  frequency,
cause Jay sent UP 1. So I went up one and gave my call. Unfortunately,
by  the  time  I got to the call in the exchange,  I  realized  I  was
working  someone  else.  I  never was able  to  find  Jay  again,  but
fortunately he found me on 80 later in the evening.

73. Ken, AB6FO, KWIDELITZ@DELPHI.COM