[3830] NAQP score by VE3ZT

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP score by VE3ZT
From: ve3bbh@interlog.com (Paul Hicks)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:23:47 -0500
                              NA QSO SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 10-Jan-98, 11-Jan-98

    Callsign Used : VE3ZT
         Operator : VE3ZT (VE3BBH)
       Contest QTH: Haliburton (120 miles N. of Toronto)
         Category : Single Operator/All Bands
             Power: 120 watts

 Default Exchange : PAUL ON

             Name : PAUL HICKS
          Address : 41 Stoneton Drive
   City/State/Zip : Scarborough, ON, Canada M1H 2P6
          Country : Canada
            email : ve3bbh@interlog.com

  160       40          40         40      25 - Alpha Delta DX-LB
   80       62          62         62      29 -   "     "     "
   40      132         132        132      41 -   "     "     "
   20        0           0          0       0 - Nil
   15       15          15         15      11 - Alpha Delta DX-LB
   10        0           0          0       0 - 4 ele homebrew

  Totals:  249         249        249     106

    Final Score = 26,394 points.

Equipment: FT1000MP, TR-Log, Alpha Delta DX-LB inverted vee @ 35 feet (160,
80, 40), 4 elements on 16 ft. boom for 10 meters (homebrew).

First time for me in this contest and agree with all the sentiments about
how enjoyable it is. I like the suggestion by someone regarding having it
more often throughout the year. Ten hours seem to be the right length, too.
Replaced my G5RV with the Alpha Delta DX-LB (160-80-40, apex at 30 feet) and
found a noticeable improvement (couldn't A/B them, though). Sure beats the
long wire I had zigzagging all over the place that was just picking up line
noise. I actually had guys calling me from mid-west and W6 and 7 on 160!.
That's a big improvement for me. Wish I could get higher but only have a 35
foot TV tower right now to hang stuff from. Going to rig up some kind of fan
dipole for 20-15-10 so I can get on these bands for SSB.

I only worked 12 other VEs, and 5 or 6 dx, which is only about 5% of my
total contacts. Where are the VEs?

I've been QRT from HF and contesting since 1980 and am really enjoying the
comeback. TR-Log sure makes it a lot of fun and removes the drudgery of
manual logging and duping. Contesting now with software provides a whole new
pleasurable experience--this is great stuff!

Thanks to all for the numerous repeats I asked for, my CW is still not what
is was 20 years ago, but these contests and simulators definitely help. Any
good simulators out there other than what's bundled with TR?

 I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations established
 for amateur radio in my country.  My report is correct and true to the best
 of my knowledge.  I agree to be bound by the decisions of the Awards Committee.

Paul Hicks, VE3ZT/VE3BBH, Jan 14, 1998