[3830] ARRL SS CW K8ND SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW K8ND SO HP
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (jmaass@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:21:19 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - CW

Call: K8ND
Operator(s): K8ND
Station: K8ND

Class: SO HP
Section: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:      0
   80:     89
   40:    674
   20:    228
   15:     59
   10:     85
-------------------------------
Total:   1135 x     80  =  181,600

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

EQUIPMENT:
Radio:         FT1000MP, Alpha 91b (Single Radio)
Antennas:
                  80m:  Inv-V @ 65', Three 300' 2-wire Beverages
                  40m:  XM240 @ 79'
                             Inv-V @ 40'
                             Inv-V @ 20'
                   20m:  KT34XA @ 69'
                   15m:  KT34XA @ 69'
                   10m:  KT34XA @ 69'

My goals going in were 950 QSOs, a Sweep, and 150,000
points.

My (now former) employer made a few weeks of free time
available to me to get the antennas and station work done
(I was "downsized"), and things worked without coaxing
during the contest period.That meant that I got to use my
offtimes eating, relaxing or sleeping! What a concept!

I had a slow start on 10 meters, opting to spend  15 minutes
calling  VY1JA and KL7Y to get them in the log in case
the aurora got any worse later and they became unavailable.
I was, in retrospect, not necessary: VY1JA tried to dupe me
KL7 (also on 40m).

I hadn't spent enough pre-contest time on CW getting sharp,
and so had some startup OJT (nothing new here: I normally
go a year between ARRL 160M contests without much
operating in between).

I didn't have any outstanding hourly rates (ranged from 50/hr to
69/hr in first 12 hours), but the QSOs kept coming. I managed
with just  three off periods ( 0926-1356,  1707-1751,  2320-0007).

This was my first serious (non-160m) contest in a very, very long
time. I seem to recall never being able to break the 1000 QSO
barrier in SS, but it fell early this year (at 2216Z  Sunday evening).

The last 4 Sections were stubborn: NNY (0751Z), PAC (0850Z),
 PR (1356Z), and *finally* MB (1751Z).