[3830] ARRL10 N4ZC(K4ZA) SO Mixed HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 N4ZC(K4ZA) SO Mixed HP
From: k4za@juno.com (k4za@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:22:02 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N4ZC
Operator(s): K4ZA
Station:

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 29

   CW:   1289  75/58
  SSB:    865  75/58
----------------------
Total:   2154    266  =  1,833

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

The contest station at N4ZC's has changed dramatically over the past few
years--as Roger's gotten out of the game.  In the past, I've done a SO2R
type setup there, using dedicated SSB/CW rigs, running while S&Ping in the
other mode.  Without the antennas to do that this year, I did a FD-style
setup with my 850 & a one tower stack (only the top rotates).

Some technical/operating highlights:
Friday I discover the ten-tec amp (loaned out Field Day & stored since),
won't come on.  Borrowed laptop will not interface with any of my keying
circuits.  Memory keyer keys, but w/o memory.  Oh heck, I can just SEND
all the calls, the old-fashioned way.  So, I start with the old reliable
hot-rodded Henry 2K.  Works fine until it gives a big groan Saturday night &
then arcs off.  Then we lug Rog's AL-1200 into place, which gets me through the
contest.

Conditions seemed, well, okay, simply not like last year.  No really great
rates.  Nor really great 10M signals, with that low, low S/N ratio & thumping
strength. The band closed with darkness.  None of this was surprising, just
disappointing.  I tried for accuracy, friendliness (saying hello way too often,
I suppose) & DXing more than rate, mostly because I could hear the Florida
guys working NE while I was hearing nothing.  NOT having the 2nd radio hurt
during the doldrums.  Hopefully the final score isn't too embarrassing....