[3830] ARRL10 W7UQ(KL9A) SO Mixed LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 W7UQ(KL9A) SO Mixed LP
From: kl9a@qsl.net (kl9a@qsl.net)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:40:05 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W7UQ
Operator(s): KL9A
Station: W7UQ

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: ID
Operating Time (hrs): 25

   CW:    989    105
  SSB:   1147    118
----------------------
Total:   2136    223  =  1,395,534

Club: WWYC

Comments:

Rig: TS440
Antenna: TH7@100 feet

My first serious entry in this contest.  Lots of fun, outstanding rates.
No excuses really, I think I did about as well as I could have.  Can't think of
anything I'd do different.  Only got 50 watts out of the radio in the CW band,
but it seemed to work OK.  Thanks to N6MJ for the strategy help... first hour
of 171 all on CW with 50 watts isn't too bad!

Europe? Where? Talk about WEAK!  Probably 2 hours of EU on Sunday... seemed
like less on Saturday, but probably not.  The opening was definitely earlier on
Sunday.  Had 1 run of EU good for about 65 q's before everyone faded half an
hour later.  Low power is not for the rate-o-holic.  :)  158 total EU in the
log.

Highlight was probably being called by 9N7RB on SSB. Breaking the 9Q0AR pileup
was nice too.

Never worked WY, although I guess NQ7Q was calling me the last half hour, but I
never heard him.  Worked every USA mult on both modes EXCEPT WY!  How
frustrating.  Missed LAB, PEI, and YT completely, and NWT on CW.

Tough trying to figure out strategy in this!  The whole time I was wishing I
had another antenna and another radio! I knew mults would be low being in W7,
and I worked all but about 3 that I heard.  The CW rate was pathetic at the
end, but SSB was steady.  I hate to have more phone q's than CW... :)

1 rig, 1 antenna, 1 hand mic, 1 paddle, 1 laptop, 1 op.

Had a blast!

Is it NAQP yet?

73,
Chris KL9A