[3830] WPX SSB AE9B M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB AE9B M/M HP
From: tombaugh@discoverynet.com (tombaugh@discoverynet.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:34:07 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AE9B
Operator(s): NW0L KG0US K0OU WOZAP WOBR K0LW AE9B KG0UT KB0VVT KU1CW K0ZM KB0U
KC0DLM KG0UA KI0KH N0SZE KD5GNO N5DZX KI7WO
Station: AE9B

Class: M/M HP
QTH: MO
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   86
   80:  245
   40:  363
   20: 1805
   15: 1490
   10:  882
------------

Club: MIXED BAG YET UNDETERMINED

Comments:

Never operated a Multi-Multi before so I set out to create one.
With about three months planning and set up, this group of combined KCDXC, SMC
and Local club operators put together a team at the AE9B location outside Kansas
City, Missouri
The truely mixed bag of operators included casual Ops, DXers and Contesters.
The setting is a modest sized basement with windows.
The workstations are made of used Laminate counters and shelves
The room was rewired in conduit with a seperate subpanel for station
equipment.
An "air cooled" ground rod (1/2" Copper Pipe) is secured at the back of the
counters for easy grounding of components.

The antennas were an interesting mix:
10m used a C4SXL tribander at 60 Ft
15M a small trapped tribander at 60 ft
20M a 4 element wide spaced Monobander at 60 ft
40M a 4 square and 2 elements at 60 ft
80M a pair of short verticals phased for endfire 45/225 Deg.
160M a pair of short verticals phased for endfire 45/225 Deg.
3-580 ft. Beverage antennas were very useful

Radios were:
5- Yaesu 1000 MP's
1- Icom 775 DSP

Amps were:
2 Drake L-4B's
2 Kenwood TL-922A's
1 SB200
1 Alpha 76A

Murphy only claimed one rotator which was easily remedied by the old fashion
rope style rotator.
We didn't need to turn the 45 foot boom of the 20 M beam very often anyway. It
really played well.

All goals except 10M and 15M QSO totals were met. The Solar event really
effected our High Bands here in KC which is evident by our relatively low totals
on those bands.

The low bands were Noisy as always but the OP's worked to squeak out every Q
they could.. Sorry if we missed you..

I still hate the 40 M SSB situation. Our Antennas were excellent the split
conditions and congestion were tough

This was a set up and take down event. We hope to do it again next year in a
couple of events including CW and SSB contests

Only a couple of run ins with a couple of Jerks, I'll remember who they are.

One thing people will soon learn about the AE9B station... we will stand up for
what is right.. even if it costs us a piece of paper. If they want to meet me in
person I'll accomodate.

Thanks to all the rest, and especially the casual OPs who got on during Easter
Weekend.

Tom AE9B