[3830] WPX SSB K9ZO(KB9UWU) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K9ZO(KB9UWU) SOAB HP
From: kb9uwu@yahoo.com (kb9uwu@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:00:24 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): KB9UWU
Station: K9ZO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 35

------------
  160:    5
   80:   74
   40:   52
   20:  761
   15:  849
   10:  680
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Mixed bag of feelings after this one.  First of all, had tons of fun, was a
great contest.  Improved my score over 1 million compaired to last year.

The first hour sure makes for a good story.  Started off the contest with the
henry 2k4, 10 minutes into the contest while running on 10 meters, the PS
tripped, and tripped, and then tripped again.  Sooooo I was running the next
5-10 minutes lower power while hooking up another amp.  FINALLY got the sb220
hooked up.  Ended up with 125 q's in the first hour.

Had a great first night, ended up with 700 some q's when i went QRT for the
night at 0700z.  Went to bed with a huge headache and basically just layed in
bed grabbing my head.  Got up at 6am local time, slightly refreshed, but still
had the headache.  Took a ton of advil and I was good to go.  Went to 15meters
and my first 3 q's that morning were WC4E, WK4R, and NS4W.  I was only slightly
behind them, was really pumped from then on.  Then I hit the unpassable brick
wall.  Barly any EU prop on 15, and none on 10.. ughh.. i sat there S&Ping while
the east coasters ran, ran, ran, ran, and then ran even more.  This was the
turning point of the contest :)

OK OK enough complaning. I really had a fun time, this is always a fun contest.

Decided to go SOAB HP insted of rookie.  Ive only been licensed for 2.5 years so
I still qualify as a Rookie in the WPX rules.  Figured since I won #1 world
rookie last year, I should step up to the big boys and let another rookie's
dream come true.

congrats to fellow WWYCer NS4W.. for kicking SERIOUS butt in his first SOAB
contest with antennas.  KL9A (KD7ORP) for possibly winning #1 T/S low power from
NORTHER ID!!!  and of course WB9Z for showing everyone that the black hole isn't
as black as I make it sound.

and BIG thanks to Ralph+Family for letting me take over the basement for the
weekend.

Equipment:

FT1000MP w/SB220 (800-1200 watts)
160- 1/4w sloper off 70ft tower
80- dipole at 65ft
40- dipole at 65ft
20- 4el long boom at 70ft, 204ba at 70ft on 2nd tower, 6el tribander at 35ft
(stuck at SA)
15- 4el duobander at 75ft, 4el mono fixed SE at 45ft, 6el tribander at 35ft
(stuck at SA)
10- 4el duobander at 75ft, 6el tribander at 35ft (stuck at SA)

73 to all,
Matt
KB9UWU
kb9uwu@yahoo.com