[3830] CQWW SSB W4NF SOAB(A) HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W4NF SOAB(A) HP
From: john.omara@oakmgmt.com (john.omara@oakmgmt.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 05:27:00 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4NF
Operator(s): W4NF
Station: W4NF

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 39
Radios: SO2R

  160:   15     5       14
   80:  101    15       57
   40:  164    22       81
   20:  437    35      132
   15:  425    34      126
   10:  872    32      134
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were off at the beginning of the contest but steadly improved as the
weekend went on.  Sunday morning runs on both 15 and 20 really helped the score.
 I was having trouble making Qs on 80 meters with the 1/4 WL vertical w/64
ground radials so I switched to my proven SS antenna, 80 Mtr dipole at 60', and
had no problems from that point on.  40 Mtrs was also very good.  I got through
mostly on one call with the CC 40-2CD @ 75'.  I guess I should consider running
on that band rather than just S&P.  15 and 20 were so packed that it is was a
real chore running any rate on those bands but did get some small ones going.
10 Meters was fun on Sunday morning with good runs over a couple hour period.  I
will surely miss it when 10 finally dies.  The connection to packet spots via
Telnet was much more reliable and faster than my regular packet connection.
Good thing that I was able to talk my wife into a broadband cable connection for
the house as it would help the kids with their homework/research on the net.  CU
all in SS CW next weekend.  73, Jack W4NF

Antennas

Force 12 C3E @ 87? (rotatable)
Cushcraft 40-2CD @ 75? (rotatable)
Force 12 C3E @ 58? (fixed on Europe Northeast)
Cushcraft A3S @ 35? (fixed Southeast)
80 Meter Vertical running up the side of the tower (with 64 ground radials)
160 Meter Inverted L also running up the side of the tower (both verticals use

the same feedpoint and ground radials)
80 Meter Dipole @ 60?
Unterminated 580? long Beverage NE/SW

Tower

Rohn 25G 75?
Guyed with 1/4? EHS at 3 places on the tower
Rotor ? Ham IV
(2) 700? long runs of Hardline (3/4? 75 ohm and 7/8? 50 ohm)
24? Chrome Molly Steel Mast

Antenna Switching and Stacking

6 x 2 Array Solutions SixPak
Stack Match (all 3 tribanders are connected to the Stack Match)
Dual Feedline Option (allows second radio to use one antenna in the stack)

Station

Rig                             FT 1000MP
2nd Rig                         IC 751
Amp                             Alpha 374A (160 ? 10 Meters)
Keyer                           AEA Contester CK-2 with Bencher
Computer                        Pentium 100
Logging Software                DX4WIN
Contesting Software             WriteLog
Band Switching                  Top Ten Devices Band Decoder
DVK                             MFJ
CW Keying                       Top Ten Devices DX Doubler
SO2R Switching                  Top Ten Devices DX Doubler
Antenna Switch                  WX0B Array Solutions SixPak
Stack Switch                    WX0B Array Solutions Stack Match
Bandpass Filters                ICE Multiband filters