[3830] CQ160 CW WA1Z Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa1z@rgraymond.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WA1Z Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:07:40 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WA1Z
Operator(s): WA1Z, NE1I
Station: WA1Z

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 29

Total:  QSOs = 535  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 31  Total Score = 119,686

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Multi-op-High-Power-Not-Really -- ran 100W.  I guess we like to be a small fish
in a large ocean!

Used a 1/4-wave Inverted L and tried a low-to-the-ground horizontal full-wave
loop for receiving which worked out surprisingly well!  It was no 1100-foot
beverage, but it had noticeable S:N improvement over the L.  It certainly helped
pull out some Europeans we couldn't hear that well on the L.

Dad, Bob NE1I, and I have had a tradition of doing this contest together since I
was a kid as NE1I/KA1BAM.  Now keeping the tradition going at my station!

So how do you have fun in CQ 160 as a Multi-op with no linear in the same state
as such world-class stations & ops like Team KC1XX?

1. We beat our own numbers from previous years (we crushed them this year)
2. Dine on steak and wine on Saturday afternoon before sundown
3. Plenty of cold beer in the fridge
4. XYL moves to in-laws for the weekend (really, she did!).  Ah, the peace and
serenity....albeit temporary.... ;)

73!
Bob, WA1Z

c-ya on SSB, such that it is...