[3830] ARRL 10 YP3A(YO9GZU) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, yo9gzu_qrp@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 YP3A(YO9GZU) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:03:23 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: YP3A
Operator(s): YO9GZU
Station: YO3KPA

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Bucharest
Operating Time (hrs): 29

   CW:  479  85+12
  SSB:  389   75+6
-------------------
Total:  868    178  Total Score = 479,532

Club:

Comments:

Whuff! So hard conditions, sunday more bad...
JA's? Where were they? Not only one in the whole weekend as multiplier?
W's? I know that in an ARRL Contest they are hundreds of them! This time only 40
in CW (due to an 30min opening on saturday afternoon) and 10 in SSB (lucky to
catch them sunday to make 6 states!!!).

Saturday - 680 QSO's
Sunday   - 188 only

        CW        SSB
NA      49         18
SA      21         23
EU     335        299
AS      56         35
AF       8          8
OC      10          6

   Whith the southern emisphere the condx were better, whit good sigs from SA
stations, even at 22-23 local time!!! Both days, in the morning the propagation
started from OC, but never coming to JA. It was like a borderline there, working
DU, YB, HS, but not only a signal from JA, HL, 9V, UA0 passing to this side.
Some UA9 and eastern EU came in with weak sigs, but was OK with the EU west
coast (strong sigs even from the QRP stations from EA, CT, G, sometimes F).
Central EU only time-to-time. Saturday afternoon I was expecting better condx,
but only a single opening to the NA gave me the permission to work 12 states on
the East Coast for the multiplier. That borderline was also to the west passing
to the centre of NA!!! I was very frustrated to see that the west EU's are
working NA stations (especially CT's) wich I couldn't hear, but they are closer
to NA so the opening was larger and they got Central NA. Didn't hear someone
working W6! With the Central America the propagation was flutting, with up and
down sigs. Saturday evening central and west EU started to come in so the rates
were going up (finally, after such a hard day) but only few new mults (like 9A;
I missed T77C, couldn't find him anywhere). NA and EU sides were working on the
same band with no passing signals. In the late evening some skew path openings
to SA. I expected also to NA, but never coming :( so I ended the first day with
680 QSO's, almost like UU7J and LZ9W, one of my objectives :)
   Sunday - DISASTER!!! I could see how the QSO number of the opponents is
getting up and mine was blocked around 700, with very slow rates of 5-10 QSO/h
so my hopes were down, also the top 10 dream! There were moments when no one
cold be heard anywhere in the band. In the morning, for the JA's I tried also
long path, with no result. An opening to OC with good sigs from 3-4 VK's made me
believe that we'll have a better day. In the afternoon I focused to SSB hoping
to catch another NA (like sunday) to make the multiplier, but only few big guns
worked (more of them from FLA).
   The strangest thing in this contest was that sunday afternoon, about 12z, I
could hear just ONE station in the SSB band CQ'ing, and that was WP4EDD/QRP,
peaking sometimes S8! WOW!!! Could't believe my ears! How was that possible?
"What a crazy band!" I said to me!
   Thank you all the weak sigs guys for the patience, and also to all those who
QSY for me. Thanks also to KP2/K2ZZ for the schedule, but at 17z couldn't hear
him anymore. I enjoyed this contest as usual.
   "Merry Christmas!" and "A Happy New Year!" to all of you, and see ya in the
ARRL CW 2004! (hope in better condx!)

                                         73! Tibi - YO9GZU