[3830] WiQP W0YC/M Multi-Op Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mill1987@umn.edu
Subject: [3830] WiQP W0YC/M Multi-Op Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:44:11 -0800
                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: W0YC/M
Operator(s): K8GU (CW), N0YNT (SSB)
Station: W0YC/M

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 7

   80:    0     0
   40:  196     4
   20:   93     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
    6:    0     0
    2:    0     0
--------------------
Total:  289     4  Mults = 38  Total Score = 38,674.0

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Special thanks to Jeff, KU8E, who found us 12 times.  A number of stations
worked us 1-9 times...thanks!

After a successful rookie run on the Minnesota QSO Party in February, we
had high hopes of doing well in Wisconsin as well.  First the
unpleasantries:  Enter Murphy.  The majority of our route was within several
hundred feet of crackling distribution power lines that made 20 and 40
almost unusable for whole counties.  So, we were miserably deaf!  Sorry to
those who called that we couldn't hear! The second major misfortune was
that my laptop would randomly lock-up and crash mid-QSO.  Since I didn't
have room in the little Escort for both my Bencher (I've tried) and the
computer, I was stuck waiting for the computer to reboot before I could
send again.  This happened to poor K4BAI twice during the contest...sorry,
John!  Third, we ran woefully behind schedule after meandering around a
little too much early in the route.  And, finally, the 40 meter hamstick
blew off the roof on I-94, leaving two magnets somewhere on the berm.  We
relocated 40 on the trunk and put 20 meters away.

Matt struggled hard for the hour he spent on phone and ended up with four
QSOs.  I think he's sold on getting up to speed with CW now!  All
misfortune aside, we both did manage to have fun.  Highlights included
working DL and SP on 20.  We also got to meet the WK9O/M team in Vernon
county and W9MSE in Grant.  West central and southwest Wisconsin is
incredibly beautiful.  And, the gray skies reflecting the cold rivers
contrasted nicely with blowing brown grass.  It was definitely a scenic
trip.

In-state and close (MN, IL) stations seemed to be hard to hear.  Forty
must have gone long really early or condx were stinko.  It was hard to tell
with the noise.

73,

--Ethan, K8GU/0.

And, a shameless plug for my Mad River friends:  Remember the MiQP on
April 17.  http://www.miqp.org/