[3830] WPX CW K9GY(@K9GY/4) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, eric.p.hall@us.army.mil
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K9GY(@K9GY/4) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:22:28 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY/4

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 3

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  65
   15:  15
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a fun contest even though I only put in 3 hrs. First two hours were
parked at the Callao, VA Rescue Squad which was a high point just outside of
K4JA's QTH (first 50 QSOs on 20m). Later operated from Alexandria, VA (last 30
QSOs) top floor open air parking garage (up 60-70 feet).

Used the new single band ($10 each) whips bought at Dayton 2004 (actually was
able to carry three antennas back through airport security). They performed
well! The Yaesu FT-817 fit right on top of the car steering wheel column. I love
that radio although I should have gotten the 300 Hz not the 500 Hz filter.

I was surprised how well the setup worked in the first two hours of the contest.
I was expecting to really struggle due to the feeding frenzy of the beginning
hours but was very happy with the results. Unfortunately conditions were not as
good on Sunday.

Another interesting adventure was camping before the contest. Set up the Wenger
"Wintterhorn" tent (bought at Costco for $50) in a clearing on K4JA's property.
The tent held up well in the medium/heavy rain on Thursday night. Weather on
Friday night was excellent with no rain. Headed back to DC on Saturday.

CQ CONTEST!

73, Eric