[3830] ARRL 160 K9YC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9YC Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:41:25 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 24

Total:  QSOs = 522  Sections = 71  Countries = 1  Total Score = 75,384

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This was the first serious workout for my new 160 antenna setup, as well as for
a new (vintage) Titan amp. I'm on a small Chicago city lot (45'x 165'), and
possible antenna supports are only 115' apart. There's also a lot of receive
noise. The antenna is an 80/40 loaded dipole fed by some vintage 75 ohm KW
twinlead without a balun. BUT -- the two sides of the feedline are tied together
and loaded as a long wire against an improvised counterpoise system. So it's
really a quasi-vertical wire with a large capacity hat to load it. The
counterpoise includes five driven rods tied together with bare copper, a dozen
or so short radials, and 135 linear feet of a 5' high wrought iron fence around
my front yard.

I'm quite pleased with how this rig works, and I encourage others to try
something like it when stuck with limited antenna space. I used the antenna this
way during most of my 80/75 meter operation in the 2004 SS, and it works well on
that band too -- better, I think, than using it as a dipole. It is NOT a good
40m antenna.

Jim K9YC