[3830] WPX CW VA7ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VA7ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 21:14:15 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 31

------------
  160:    0
   80:   14
   40:  255
   20:  533
   15:  127
   10:   12
------------
Total:  941  Prefixes = 515  Total Score = 1,445,605

Club:

Comments:

Here's the band breakout:

        Band    QSOs    Pts  WPX
         3.5      14     55    7
           7     255   1040  112
          14     533   1393  353
          21     127    292   42
          28      12     27    1
       Total     941   2807  515

Year  QSO   WPX        Score (claimed)
2006  941   515        1,445,605
2005  694   378          712,908
2004   --    --               --
2003  412   233          269,348 (VE7ASK)
2002   63    45            9,000

Gear:
80M 2 element inverted V beam aimed east
40M 2 element inverted V beam aimed east
40M 2 element inverted V beam aimed northish
3 element tribander (CL33) at 50'
FT920 and N1MM Logger

SFI at 85, A was 2-4 and K was 0-2 so conditions not too bad at all, given the
cycle position. One more dippy year to go.

Had a super time -- conditions were great Friday night and Saturday. EU path
open almost the weekend. Quite a bit worse Sunday (noise came way up). Worked
several new countries, and enjoyed the JA runs while they lasted on 40/20/15.
Heard more than I expected on 10M.

Disappointing early evenings on 40M, but sure opened up after midnight Pacific
time. So did 20M and 15M in the early hours of Saturday (0600z and later).

Had to work very hard for Qs on 20M and 15M on Sunday -- no one could hear me,
or I'd worked all those with antennas aimed NW.

The inverted-V 40M beam for NA worked very well, in all directions :) Powerline
noise not fixed; hydro RFI couldn't find the real source, but they fixed a
couple of possibles to no effect. Up to me to sniff out the source, I guess.
The noise probably cost me a couple hundred Qs on the three active bands (can't
work 'em if you can't hear 'em). Sorry to those I didn't pull in.

Kept looking at the SOABLP score summary from last year, and watched my score
float up through the ranks. Ended up chasing VE3JAQ's 2005 SOABLP totals of
1000 Qs and 474 WPX for 1,437,642. Edged over that benchmark score in the final
minutes with a few extra mults. Don't know how this will stack up against this
year's competition and conditions. Sure had a blast, no matter where I end up.