[3830] ARRL FD K9ES/4 1A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K9ES/4 1A LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:40:09 -0700

  2.3:    0      0      0
  3.4:    0      0      0
  5.7:    0      0      0
  10G:    0      0      0
  24G:    0      0      0
----------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

K9ES/4  1A SFL Low Power Battery Powered Solar Charged

40        CW     236        472        2      11
20        CW     347        694        5      55
15        CW     025        050        1      2
10        CW     001        002        0      0
40        PH      87         87        0      5
20        PH     234        234        4      7
15        PH     021        021        0      0
2         PH     001        001        0      0
Total            952       1561        12     80
Power Multiplier:             2
Total Points:              3122
Bonus Points:               800
Total Score:               3922

K9ES/4 Field Day Operation took place from Longpoint Park, in South Brevard
near Sebastian Inlet.  The exact location was at the Indian River edge on the
very south tip of the island.  Operators were Eric K9ES, Chuck AD4ES, Jeff
KG4IPO, and Hank AA4HP.  We operating from a 10 x 20 foot tent (with massive
hurricane fans keeping the bugs to a tolerable level) and slept in a 10 x 20
foot tent with air conditioning.  The operation was powered by a KG4IPO battery
system, made from four 6V deep discharge 400 Amp-Hour marine batteries in a
series mode to produce 2 banks of batteries.  While one bank was connected
directly to the rig and accessories, the other bank was solar power charged at
about a 10 ampere rate.  Control, switching, and monitoring were at the
operator position, with a fully microprocessor controlled system, allowing
monitoring of either bank, the charge to the bank being charged, and the
average and peak discharge to the radio.

The radio used was my Icom 756 Pro-2 (with a spare Pro-2 in my car).  We used
AD4ESâ??s laptop computer to log (Writelog) and generate CW.  A paddle was used
in parallel to send manually.  The radio was connected to the antenna through an
ICE 419B bandpass filter, electronically tracked to the radio.  An external
Mirage Wattmeter was in line to verify output power as well as reflected power.
 An I-Mate was used along with a Heil Proset Plus-2 headset / mike.

Antennas were a TH6DXX at 38 feet, on the top of a trailer tower, and initially
a Gap Titan, located 10 feet in the river.  It was very clear that there was a
problem with the Gap, and we elected to put up a 40M â??inverted veeâ?? on the
tower.  The Gap did not play on 40 and although the VSRW was low on 80M, we
could not hear a signal on that band.  The TH6DXX was rope rotated.  No
operation took place on 80M.

We received the FD Message using the IC756 Pro-2 RTTY Decode (9 PM Sat night,
14 MHz W1AW broadcast) and transcribed the broadcast on a tape recorder.  We
transmitted the FD message to the SCM (W4STB) on 2M FM via K4HRS/4, the
Harris-Intersil Radio Club, operating across the river.  Other bonus points
were invited agency guest (Deputy Fire Chief - Casslebury FL), Public Site for
operating, Message Table, Natural Power, Solar Power, News Media announcement.

With 11 minutes to go in the contest, and severe weather threatening, Jeff
pointed the TH6DXX straight north and we had a pileup of 31 QSOâ??s in that
short period, including the needed Delaware QSO.  We managed a clean sweep,
with DX as far as VK4.  At the end of the contest, the skies unleashed with a
squall hitting us.  Thankfully, no one was hit by lightning.  Overall, the
operation was a success.  Weather was hot during the day, and cool at night,
with occasional rain showers.  QRN was very low.
73's es OJ's