[3830] IARU N8II SO Mixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] IARU N8II SO Mixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:44:19 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 4

  160:    2      2      2
   80:    6      3      6
   40:   39      0     20
   20:  104     56     53
   15:    0      3      3
   10:    0      0      0
---------------------------
Total:  213      0     84  Total Score = 50,988

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had to work this weekend which had me really whipped by the time I
 arrived home Saturday evening. I'm trying to finish up QRP DXCC, lots of
 Eu left to confirm, so I decided to try QRP. Much to my surprise, I was
 able to work many stations in Eu on the 1st or 2nd call, even on phone.
 Activity was far from overwhelming at 22Z, about 40-50% of my Q's were
 HQ stations, no complaints about their activity. This was pretty ideal
 for QRP, some loud sigs but not much QRM. I found a gaping hole around
 14022-23 around 2315Z and tried CQ'ing, but condx were not quite good
 enough to run Eu, only SW EU was loud by then. I worked 64 Q's in
 first hour and managed to average close to 53/hr for the 4 hours
 operated. The last 1/2 hour before I pooped out was spent on 40 and
 even that went pretty well working a few S 5-7 stations.
   I woke up early, so plodded down to the shack at 0945Z to find
 almost no activity on 40-160; the noise level was extremely low. I
 found NU1AW on 80 and he moved me to 160 where sigs were booming, also
 found W1AW on 160. Around 1015Z, the WRTC stations started showing up
 on 20 CW and I caught ten total. The evening before I heard none
 CQing on 15-40M. Around 1045-1110Z, 20 was open well to Eu and Central
 Asia, I caught zones 21,30,31 to add to 32 worked in the evening; sigs
 were S4-S7. There were 3 RA9J stations within 4 kHz of each other around
 14050! This QRP thing was fun, it was quite a feeling of accomplishment
 to get thru. I may try it again.