[3830] CQWW VHF KB8U SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF KB8U SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:55:37 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: KB8U
Operator(s): KB8U
Station: KB8U

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: EN71
Operating Time (hrs): 22
Radios: SO2R

    6:  759   230
    2:  154    54
-------------------
Total:  913   284  Total Score = 303,028

Club:

Comments:

Extraordinary conditions on 6m.  There were numerous times when the band was
open to the East, South and West all at once, including double hop to the west
coast USA.  Heck, it was probably also open to northern Canada, there's just no
one up there to work. I made one of my longest multi-hop Es skip QSO ever to
southern Italy (alas, he didn't sent a grid, only RST so it didn't count for
contest credit).  The computer said it was exactly 5000 miles!

The skip was by no means all long, however.  Normally, the densly populated
parts of W1 and W2 are in my skip zone so I'm lucky to weakly hear a few of the
big guns.  This contest, they were in LOUD for hour after hour on Saturday and
came back in on Sunday for a repeat!  Similar short skip was worked in
abundance in other directions.  No 2m Es was heard, though.

On top of that, tropo to the west and northwest was good to excellent.  There
were several stations out 400-500+ miles I first worked on 2m and then moved to
6m for new multipliers.  I was still a little disappointed there weren't more
people on 2m, though.  I can't blame anybody for sticking to 6m under the
circumstances, though.  Tropo was so good I even took a few minutes off the
contest and worked an all-time new grid on 432, number 100 for me!  Letsee, if
144MHz is 2 points, 432 oughta be 6 points... naw, I guess there's a reason
they call it a VHF contest.

Normally this contest has only about 1/2 the participation of June.  This time
I think there were more people on.  Let's hope they'll return next year.  Until
then, Best regards from EN71  -Russell KB8U