[3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 23:47:22 -0700

Total:  457   129  Total Score = 58,953

Club:

Team:

Comments:

SO1R Gear:
FT920 + N1MM Logger
Tribander at 50'
2 ele. 40M inv-V beam E.
2 ele. 40M phased verticals (broadside E-W)
2 ele. 80M inv-V beam E.
Inv-L 160M (75' high, 60' horizontal)

Worked 15M for first 50 minutes -- 40 Qs surprised me (last year just 5 there).
Only one Q on 10M.

Went to 40M early, but no takers. Terrible one-way prop to the east from here
till almost dark, which is late. Signals on the band were loud and from all
over the continent, but neither calling CQ or S&P produced contacts till 0220z
and even then it was slow for a long while. Finally got a run going at 0245z or
so -- when the band opens up for B.C. to the east, it's like opening a curtain.

Jury's still out on the new phased 1/4-wave vertical pair (wired for broadside
today) -- had a coax problem in the 150' run to the forest where the verts are
hanging from a catenary rope. Solved the problem, but the high (75') inv.-V
beam was stronger on most signals tonight so didn't get back to the vertical
array. This week is a vacation week, with no plans to travel so I hope to add
to the existing four 1/4-wave raised radials per vertical, and give it a good
workout in a sloppy endfire configuration to the north (30 degrees) next
weekend for WAE CW.

Never caught last year's mult totals on 20 or 40, but passed them on 15 and 80.

Found 160M stations pretty loud and easy copy but not many of them around in
the final hour when I was there. Hooked up the old Inverted-L, which hangs at
about 75' from the rope that supports my inv.-V beams. Laid out a long run of
old coax as an extra ground radial -- that made about three radials in total,
40' or 50' long, plus tied in the chain link fence around the back yard. Fed
with RG8, it works all right tuned by the FT920, but it's comfy only in the
lower 20khz of the band so I didn't stray very high except for one or two mults
I couldn't live without, hi.

Had a lot of fun. Matched last year's mults and passed the point total by
nearly 5,000 pts, so I'm happy. Half way in, I figured I'd fall short by a lot,
but 80M was better than I'd hoped, though still noisy.

Played in TARA Grid Dip from 0000z to 0700z Friday evening (also joined the
half-hour NAQP practice session at 0230z), then got up at 1300z Saturday and
stayed in the RTTY contest till 2 minutes before NAQP started at 1800z. Took a
two-hour break from 2100z to 2300z, napped almost the whole two hours, then ran
straight through till 0600z.

Gotta vote for AA3B's Bud as best name. Nice to work Loco on a couple of bands,
and although I didn't find Ruff K9SEX, I did work a Kitty K0CAT :)

-- Bud.