[3830] NA Sprint CW K3STX HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3stx@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K3STX HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:53:56 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K3STX
Operator(s): K3STX
Station: K3STX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

   80:   64
   40:   85
   20:   36
---------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC

Comments:

I've been practicing all summer for this, and I really do think it helped. For
the first time in my life, I went high power (with an 400 watt AL-811), I think
it really helped, especially on 40.

I think I made a big tactical error: I started on 40, thinking I would work the
"local" guys before moving to 20. Unfortunately, I did not check 20 before the
contest, and after 15 min on 40 and a 15 min break to tuck-in the kids, was not
being very kind to me. 40 was fine, and I might have gone to 80 too early (at
0245Z or so). I worked everyone I could, but then by 0330 80 was a madhouse and
I was just not loud enough to win the pile-ups. I felt weak on 80 with my
vertical/400 watts, I would appreciate any ideas on this.

I surely had fun, and I am really excited to have my amp and not get ANY phone
calls from neighbors during contest. My carbon monoxide detector did not like
the RF, so unplugged it (XYL was not crazy about THAT move).

Thanks for the Qs and CU in the next contest.

paul
400 watts/80 M vertical, 40 M dipole up 30', 20 M G5RV up 60'