[3830] CQWW SSB VE3SY M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, paul@ve3sy.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE3SY M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:09:53 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3SY
Operator(s): VE3EY VE3XD VE3SMA VE3NWA VE3SY
Station: VE3SY

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  232     9        9
   80:  745    18       64
   40:  564    23       74
   20: 1538    34      128
   15:  483    27       97
   10:   77    13       31
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

EQUIPMENT:
2 FT1000MP, Alpha 87A, QRO DX2500DX

ANTENNAS:
Dipoles on 160 and 80, 2El Beam on 40, 4El on 20 with 3El on 15 and 10 plus an
A4 tri-bander.

This was a weekend of mixed experiences. Starting off two of our team got
caught in a major traffic jam and arrived several hours later than planned.
Also Paul 3SY was just getting over laryngitis and was only able to operate for
20-30 minutes before loosing his voice.   Fortunately with M/2 we had an extra
op to fill in so we didn't miss a beat. At the start of the contest 40m was a
zoo which really held down the rate on that band but 20 managed to fill in with
a higher rate. Between the two bands we held a rate of about 100/hr for the
first 5 hours.

Conditions seemed to vary considerably over the weekend. There were hours when
calling even the stronger stations was difficult and other times when you could
do no wrong. We really hated to resort to S&P but at times there was little
other choice when running yielded few results. Sunday morning before sunrise a
blizzard blew through and for an hour or more the snow static was so high we
could not operate. Then the noise would drop in and out over the next hour. So
for several hours we made virtually no contacts and at the prime time for some
sunrise DX.

We networked Writelog between the two stations and had frequent network drops.
This was surprising as we used the latest release of WL and both computers ran
XP. What also surprised and annoyed us was the losing of a number of contacts
when the network crashed. I have never see that happen before in years of using
WL and the contacts could not be found on either computer nor on the adi file
used as temporary storage by WL. We are seriously considering using some other
software in the future.

On the bright side this was the best score achieved at VE3SY in M/2 operation.
This no doubt was the result of three new operators this year but who were not
new to contesting. Nick VE3EY, Peter VE3NWA and Steve VE3SMA in addition to
Paul VE3SY and Don VE3XD. We made a great team and everyone filled in to
operate and give pointers and assistance as needed.

Another highlight were the meals prepared by Paul and Don's XYLs Marg and Barb.
We all very much enjoyed the results of their culinary talents and are looking
forward to doing this all again next year hopefully to improved conditions.