[3830] CQWW CW K4AQ SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K4AQ@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K4AQ SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:23:41 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K4AQ
Operator(s): K4AQ
Station: K4AQ

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: CQZ 5; Atlanta, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:   26     8       17
   40:   98    19       55
   20:   82    14       46
   15:    8     5        6
   10:    8     4        5
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/WW_Rules_20083006.pdf

WAC:   6 of 6

DXCC:  68 unique

I decided to switch from QRP to Low Power when I could not make a Q in the
first 15 minutes of the contest. But, to keep things interesting, I also
decided to use Hustler mobile antennas on 15, 20 and 40 meters, mounted on my
15-psgr club wagon. The antenna for 10 & 80 meters was a 50-foot NCA (No
Counterpoise Antenna) configured as a sloper favoring Europe, bottom-fed.

NT4XT asked me at the office if I tried to work 5A7A (Libya), one of the
hottest DX during Nov-2006. I told him I would wait for the CQWW. Would you
believe I worked them on 40cw? Wow! They answered me on my first call. Now THAT
"Made my Night," hi. Not bad for 100 watts into a Hustler mobile antenna
either.

My other highlight was working CS2R/Portugal on 80cw. (Possibly my best DX on
80.) There weren't many Q's on 80 because of my high ambient noise level and a
short 50-ft NCA wire.

Stn: FT-897D xcvr, 100 watts; Hustler mobile antenna (40, 20 & 15 meters, fed
with 50-ft RG-6 + 17 ft or so of very small coax to the Diamond "trunk lip"
base mount); 50-ft NCA bottom-fed as a 50-ft sloper on 10m/80m. Ten-Tec 238
L-network tuner used for the NCA only. microKEYER. WriteLog 10.60g.

--Matt, K4AQ