[3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:07:26 -0700

Club:

Comments:

* FT920 + SB221
* N1MM Logger
* 3-element tribander at 45'
* 40M rotary dipole at 55'
* Ground-mounted all-band vertical

Open, 12-hour category.

Had a great time, just under six hours between hour-long drives (each way) to
son #1's hockey playoff games. Ran high power (~700W) for the first time in a
Commonwealth contest and almost doubled last year's Q total. Haven't yet
relay-modded the MFJ-1026 noise canceller's sense antenna input, so didn't try
using it with that much RF in the fairly compact antenna farm. Meant living
with the power line noise on 20M, which isn't too severe when pointing at Great
Britain.

Slept past the 2 a.m. start, but didn't miss too much. 40M early that first
morning (5 a.m.) was very good to Oceania (discovered lightning crashes are now
quite audible) but I worked all I could hear in half an hour or so.

Less noise on the rotary dipole than the vertical, but more VK/ZL results from
the vertical. Super to work VP8KM on 40 (at 0740z, 11:40 p.m. local), then find
VP8NO about 40 minutes later, while VK/ZLs were coming in nicely.

Running 125 Gs on 20M was fantastic fun from 1500-1740z. Some light signals in
there, but all were appreciated. Hope I didn't miss too many in the noise.
Tried calling to African headings several times but nothing heard.

Only VK4EMM and E51PJT worked on 15. PJT had a great signal here for a long
time.

Thanks to all for the Qs and RSGB for the event.

Year       Qs   Points
March-07  190   1,850  HP
March-06   99   1,095  LP
March-05   74     908  LP