[3830] All Asian CW VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:00:37 -0700
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 4

  160:
   80:
   40:  44     29
   20:  20     13
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  64     42  Total Score = 2,688

Club:

Comments:

* FT920 + N1MM Logger + SB220
* Mosley CL33
* 40M half-square
* Trapped all-band vertical

Congratulations to K7QQ on a strong score from WA, especially given the
propagation from the Pacific Northwest.

Not very often 40M outperforms 20M to Asia for me, but it was definitely the
money band under these conditions. Only put in 4.5 hours over the two days, as
there just wasn't much to find on 15, 20 or 40. Checked 80M a couple of times
both mornings and heard only stateside action.

Extreme weather in southern B.C. this weekend limited my antenna options.
Couldn't crank up the tower up due to high winds and a few bands of thunder
storms. When it's nested <30', I can't turn the tribander very far from East
(nearby branches), so ran the ground-mounted all-band vertical on 20M. A little
high power helped to get through, but 20M isn't the same to Asia without some
gain. Still, glad I have the vertical as a go-to backup for times like this.

Intense rain for hours on end killed the chronic power line noise so listening
was a great pleasure this weekend. Could hear a PIN diode drop. With SFI=68
(about as low as it can or will go) and A=10>8, conditions were really lousy.
At times during Saturday and Sunday daylight hours I couldn't hear more than
one or two stations in the entire 20M CW band. One of these days there'll a
convergence of steady rain, sunspots, and a big DX contest.

40M half-square to Asia ran very nicely with HP, and seems a solid performer.
Needed to get up earlier than 5:30 a.m. PDT to take advantage of the 40M
openings to Asia -- got on for the end of them, I suspect, as the band died out
by 6:30 a.m. There must have been more JA stations on than the 44 who called in,
but spots suggested they were up on 20M working EU by that time of their day.