[3830] IOTA VA7ST SO12CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA VA7ST SO12CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 10:06:50 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO12CW HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 11

   80:    4       2
   40:   84      17
   20:  200      28
   15:    4       0
   10:
Total:  292      47       0        0  Total Score = 75,576

Club:

Comments:

Ran SO1R assisted. Space wx: started with SFI=69 A=10 K=3 and ended with 70, 5,
3 -- so things were quite lousy overall.

Gear:
* FT920 and SB221
* N1MM Logger
* 3-ele. yagi at 45'
* 40M half-square SE-NW and NE-SW
* Ground-mounted vertical (80M) + delta loop

Thanks RSGB for the contest! 40M was great to the Pacific both mornings
(contest starts 5 a.m. local). 20M was good to EU, but 15M and 10M were
washouts. Great to work FW0YL on 20 and 40 with strong signals.

Congratulations to the Kiwis -- ZLs were out in great numbers once again (7
worked). Also, had more than the usual share of VKs (7 worked). Was nice to
hear young Raj (VK4FRAJ) in there again.

Disappointing JA turnout. Only worked 7 JAs in total (2 on 20M, 7 on 40M)
despite long, long CQs in their direction and a lot of S&P looking around. I
was once again relying on finding plenty of JA 15-pointers to partly counter
the East Coast advantage into EU. In tests like this one, when the JAs aren't
running, I can't run. Had some decent UA runs but few IOTAs in the mix.

80M was a wasteland -- were there stations under the atmospheric noise? Did
find P43E and VE7NH for mults. Only two other stations heard and worked.

Amp at 500W helped keep the monotony at bay, but there were still long periods
of unanswered 40M CQs in the late evening and early Sunday morning. The extra
5x power only produced 10 more mults and 38 more Qs than last year as LP,
however last year I put in a few more hours.

Year    Qs    Mults    Score
2007:  292      47     75,576
2006:  254      37     49,950
2004:   39      10      2,370
2002:   25      12      2,628

Took a lot of long (hour+) breaks, but thought I'd be over 12 hours. Turns out
I was actually an hour or so under the 12-hour limit.