[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K8GP Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3zz@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K8GP Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:18:19 -0700
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K8GP
Operator(s): K1HTV, K1RA, K3CB, K3MM, K8ISK, KM3T, N2NAR, W3ZZ, W4XP
Station: K8GP

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: WV FM08fq
Operating Time (hrs): 33

    6:  627   100
    2:  591    80
  222:  178    51
  432:  285    51
  903:   82    30
  1.2:   94    27
  2.3:   67    20
  3.4:   44    15
  5.7:   37    14
  10G:   39    14
  24G:    9     1
-------------------
Total: 2064   405  Total Score = 1,417,500

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

September was payback for the great conditions in June. The Sept VHF Party was
clearly not the finest contest we ever operated and these results showed it.
Conditions were mostly flat except for 34 6 meter Es contacts early on and
occasionally slightly enhanced conditions up the northeast coast on the other
bands. Activity was nowhere near as great as this June.

A bug â?? the insect type â?? got into the 2 meter amplifier about 1/2 hour
before the beginning of the contest causing a loud explosion. After burnishing
one of the grid rings and replacing both 3CX800As we got 2 meters going 1 hour
late.

We did try both digital FSK441 MS and EME in this contest. The WSJT worked
pretty well and yielded several grids on both 6 and 2. Not so with the EME. We
know that several big European stations heard us well enough on 70 cm to give
real RST reports but we heard nothing. Bad preamp? Bad piece of coax? We
donâ??t know. On 2 meters we suspected that the 4 bay array had some problem
based on its performance on tropo. Sure enough when we took it down at the end
of the contest we found that one of the 4 yagis was not in operation because
the elevation rotation had ripped the coax out of its connector. Result â?? we
heard nothing and were not heard. The problem on 23 cm might have been too
small an antenna though the stations listening for us had large dishes and
previous success with even single long yagis on that band.

Thereâ??s always next year!