[3830] IARU N5AW/0 SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N5AW/0 SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:10:07 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N5AW/0
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW/0

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Colorado
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:   64            10       5
   40:  128            21      17
   20:  140            21      12
   15:   26             6       1
   10:    2             1       0
-------------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

My annual chance remember what the average ham contends with - 100 watts to a 25
foot high G5RV at our vacation home in SW Colorado. Definitely easier back home
in Texas with big antennas but still fun.

Was pleasantly surprised at being able to work so much DX on 40 and even 80
with such a modest set up. EF8U, ZD8Z, LU7HN, HC8N, and ZL6A all worked on both
bands and a bunch of Europeans on 40. Despite being further west this QTH is
poor to JA - we are on the east side of a fairly steep sloping hill. Probably
helps the signal to the east though.

Fifteen was a disappointment. Heard EF8U and several Europeans but none worked.
Only signals on 10 were a few 6's. Local thunderstorm shut things down for
several hours Saturday afternoon. Would have been a real blow had I been
serious about the contest.

Using N5AW/0 caused some confusion with NU1AW/0. Would probably have made a few
more Q's leaving off the /0. Guess I'm old fashioned but like the guy on the
other end to know I'm not operating from the home station in Texas.

Thanks for the Q's. - Marv, N5AW/0