[3830] IARU W5WZ SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5wz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU W5WZ SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:18:59 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W5WZ
Operator(s): W5WZ
Station: W5WZ

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 13:07
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0      0      0       0
   80:    0      0      0       0
   40:   22      4      7       0
   20:   69    147     31       0
   15:    5     12     11       0
   10:    0      1      1       0
-------------------------------------
Total:   96    164     50       0  Total Score = 38,100

Club:

Comments:

** My logging software does not break out the zone vs HQ mults.

This contest marks the 10th anniversary of my first solo contest ever for IARU
1998, in which I won the LA section as KD5CAS in SO-ALL-LOW-SSB.  I had only
been introduced to contesting 2 weeks earlier at Field Day 1998.

This year, I planned to only work up to 14 hours from the start.  Had in the
back of my mind an expected QSO count in the neighborhood of 500-600.  I sure
missed that mark!

This is my first contest since building my new shack and moving my operating
postition.  Several glitches have been discovered that are inconvenient, if not
downright annoying.  Thankfully, none are major.  Things like RF in places it
shouldn't be making my voice keyer useless for the contest.  The spare computer
monitor (primary monitor died 2 weeks ago) that is apparently on its last leg,
and gets dimmer and dimmer as the contest goes on.  Wanting/needing a foot rest
to change my leg position for comfort.  They are now at the top of my "to-do"
list for interior work.

Antennas, in my estimation, are currently a weak link.  Dipoles on 160, 80, 40,
with none higher than about 40 feet.  All my dipoles are east-west, simply
because that is the only place I have trees from which to hang them.  2-element
quad at 45 feet for 20, 15, and 10 via a single feedline.  This arrangement
limits my SO2R to 1 radio on the high bands and 1 radio on the low bands.  I
sure would have liked to be on 20 and 15 at the same time during the day.  For
me, mid-day in summer on a 40m dipole at 20 feet is not the optimal way to go.

It seemed that band conditions were pretty poor.  I hammered away calling CQ
for a couple of hours on 20m 14.174 from 1600z to 1800z, netting a total of 56
Qs.  This 2 hour period yielded my best rates of the contest; much lower than I
had hoped for.

The best 60 minute rate was 41/hour from 1615 to 1714
The best 30 minute rate was 44/hour from 1616 to 1645
The best 10 minute rate was 60/hour from 1622 to 1631

Thanks to all who did work me!  It was still fun, and as always, some
experience gained will help in the next one!