[3830] IARU K5WA SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K5WA SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:24:55 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

  160:    37    0       7       2
   80:   108    0       7       7
   40:   410    0      26      16
   20:   607    0      23      22
   15:   263    0      16      14
   10:    43    0       5       2
-------------------------------------
Total:  1468    0      84      63  Total Score = 622,839

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

What a lot of fun!  This was my first SO2R contest from my new location at
W5SJS's "Ranch".  There is currently only one antenna per band, but we have BIG
plans.  My 2 new K3s were extremely fun to use and I look forward to having more
sleep before I try this again.  I only got 3 hours of sleep on Friday night, so
I was only able to stay awake for 17-18 hours during the contest.

Conditions for south Texas seemed poor at the beginning, but got better.  Had
an OK opening on 15 and a bit of 10, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Our one beverage really helped during 3-4 hours of bad storm QRN.
Unfortunately, our 3 element 80M delta loop @ 110' is only pointed NE, so I
didn't work too much in other directions.  Can't wait to get the 80M 4-Square
up and get beverages in all directions.  Also, having more than one antenna per
band will be a huge benefit.  Wait till next year.  ;-)

Thought I was going to run N1MM software, but waited too late to config it and
fell back to my old trusty TRlog/DOS.  I still love this program best for SO2R
CW and haven't found anything to replace it in the Win world, but I think N1MM
will be the choice going forward assuming TR4W doesn't end up getting its SO2R
capability running.  I configured a glitch into TRlog and will have about 30
dupes in my raw number, but end score should be a bit over 600K.

Bob Evans, K5WA

P.S.  What's a skimmer?  ;-)