[3830] IARU W4TMN SO SSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4tmn@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] IARU W4TMN SO SSB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:08:10 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W4TMN
Operator(s): W4TMN
Station: W4TMN

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: Toano, VA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   0       5      1       2
   80:   0      79      6      10
   40:   0     134     13      31
   20:   0     241     13      37
   15:   0      30      7       8
   10:   0       3      3       0
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     492     43      88  Total Score = 160,082

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I didn't do as well as last year, but I got close.....As usual, my goal is just
to beat last year's score.  Toward the end of the contest, it looked like I had
a pretty good chance to meet my goal, but it was just not to be.

Were conditions really that bad, or did Toano, VA fall into a black hole??  I
didn't think I would ever hear anything more than zones 7 and 8 for the first
half of the contest.  I was working anyone I could, but the one pointers kept
my score from going anywhere fast.  Conditions finally began to change and
started racking up a few new multipliers and some more QSO points.

The odds were against me from the start.  Just a week before the contest, my
G5RV came down in a storm.  With no antenna, I was not going to make many
contacts.  Fortunately, I was able to get it back up somewhat close to what I
had before, so at least someone would hear me.

I knew I was in trouble when I had to work overtime the night before the start
of the contest.  I got home only two hours before the start of the contest.
Work this week was a bear and I had worked lots of overtime, so I had no time
for testing prior to the start of the contest.  I only got the contest set up
on my laptop during a break at work on Friday night.  So, unfortunately,
testing would have to occur during the contest.  Fortunately, everything seemed
to work fine.....except propagation.

Due to the lack of sleep and bad band conditions, I never could get any good
runs going.  I did have a couple of periods where I was able to get a good rate
going, but they didn't last long.  S&P did not do any better for me. The
Europeans just weren't making it to me on 20 the way I would have liked.  I did
find myself drifting off a couple of times before recovering and hitting another
dose of caffeine.

I have had a good run for a couple of years being first place in the class in
the section (thanks to N2QT doing so well last year!).  It looks as though Mark
did it again this year in a big way!

Thanks for everyone who patiently gave me a Q!!!!

Hershel