[3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Open HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 06:56:52 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Open HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
   80:   13
   40:   42
   20:   94
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  149  Total Score = 2,125

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

2009 -- SFI:    69  | Ap: 17>9  | Kp:   3
2008 -- SFI: 70-71  | Ap:    2  | Kp: 2-4

 Band    QSOs     Call_areas
   3.5      13      5
     7      42     19
    14      94     18
 Total     149     42

Conditions on 20M were not good at all, particularly for over-the-pole to
G-land. The Saturday morning opening was very weak and muddy for about an hour
and a half, with just a few minutes of peak activity. Even at the brief peak,
only a few signals (examples: G4BUO, G6PZ) were heard without pronounced
auroral effects.

Highlights: spent several minutes trying to work Zambia. Always a pleasure to
hear 9J2BO here, even though I couldn't get through the line-up waiting to work
him. He wasn't very loud, but was solid copy. A while later, while I was
plaintively bleating CQ over the pole, two strong African stations stopped in:
7Q7 and 5X1, both new ones for me.

While working Oceania on 20M Saturday afternoon, some lid sat on top of me and
repeatedly sent "QRT" as I tried work weak ZLs. Wouldn't ID himself. I ended up
having to turn 180 degrees back to VE before he stopped harassing me. No action
from VE at all, so I ended up going QRT until 40M opened in the evening. Wish
these lily-livered anonymous losers had the courage to act that way in person.
But then they'd have all those orthodontist bills to pay.

Not sure how badly this episode hurt my score -- probably only missed half a
dozen Oceania Qs at the rate I was going.

Good paths to ZL/VK on 80, 40 and 20M, and it was great to work so many -- been
a while.

Ended up with score improvement over previous years, but I had expected to do
much better for the team. With a maxed-out local lid index, low flux and high
Ap, conditions didn't play out as I'd hoped.

Year       Qs   Points
March-09  149   2,125  HP
March-08  117   1,545  HP
March-07  190   1,850  HP