[3830] CQWW VHF VE3SMA Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3sma@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF VE3SMA Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 07:16:45 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: VE3SMA
Operator(s): VE3NPB, VE3SMA
Station: VE3SMA

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: Muskoka, Ontario
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  58     41
    2:  21     13
-------------------
Total:  79     54  Total Score = 5,400

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Murray and I operated in portable fashion from my family's summer cottage,
almost 200 km north of Toronto.  Rigs were around 100 watts on both bands, with
3 elements on 6m and 6 elements on 2m.  This is the first time I've run a VHF
contest from there in many years...it's too far from most of the activity to be
competitive normally, but we figured if 6m was OK it might be interesting and
some people would get a new, fairly rare grid.

As it turned out, 6m opened a bit with Es to the maritime provinces, a bit to
the southeastern US (mostly the Carolinas) and a bit to Bermuda and the
Caribbean, though not for a large proportion of the contest and we were
toughing it out on troposcatter and meteors most of the time.  Best dx on 2m
was WA2FGK (542 km), K3ISH (526 km), W3SO (525 km).  Only one station less than
100 km away was worked (thanks to VE3YV for the rare FN05 mults !).

I think our trip worked out ok, especially given that we only started
discussing the possibility a week before the contest !

73,
Steve VE3SMA