[3830] SCC RTTY VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SCC RTTY VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:22:19 -0700
                    SCC RTTY Championship

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

   80:   22   42    18
   40:   77  154    44
   20:  160  359    57
   15:
   10:
------------------------
Total:  259  555   119  Total Score = 66,045

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

2009: SFI=68, A=3, K=2
2008: SFI=67, A=3, K=1
2007: SFI=72, A=1>10, K=1>3

FT920 + SB221
N1MM Logger + MMTTY
3 element SteppIR at 27'
40M dipole on yagi
80M twin vertical array (aiming E-W)

No sunspots and again terrible conditions for the third consecutive year.
Something's gotta give. Did better with the Steppir on 20M than previous years.
EU opening on Saturday morning was fairly good but not as deep as it could have
been. Not a sound out of 15M and didn't bother looking at 10M.

40M was no good here in the late afternoon 0030z when so much activity was on
the band. As usual, I could hear dozens of stations very well but no luck
getting their attention. Took a break, watched an old movie, and by the time
the band flipped into "pretty good" mode from out west around 0300z (8 p.m.)
most ops must have been QRT.

Fewer 40M Qs but more mults than 2007, and down considerably from last year's
103 Qs for 53 mults. Will be interesting to see if this 40M one-way phenomemon
diminishes as flux rises (some time over the next decade).

Went to 80M at 0415z and worked a few stalwarts on that band. Managed 22 Qs for
18 mults, which is better than last year but not quite as good as 2007 (29 Qs
for 22 mults)

Quite stable performance over the past three years -- appears to be a ceiling
at around 260 Qs and just shy of 120 mults from this station. Could have put in
more hours than the 7.5 I worked, but rates didn't keep me in the chair. Same
story as the previous two years.

Noticed more than a few callers answering CQ with full exchange. It's
frustrating to hear front-loaded callers tossing their info blindly, while
other callers are losing out because one person hasn't quite grasped a pretty
simple QSO pattern. There's structure to the madness.

Many of the new guys were great. Saw 2008s and 2009s trading exchanges like old
pros! Hope to hear them often now -- only takes one test to get hooked. And what
a great thing it is to have so many oldtimers on. It is a pleasure to work guys
who have been around for so many solar cycles.

Oldest licence: K5AM '48, then W4UK '51.
Most popular years (Qs 20M):

1977 (10)
1972 ( 9)
1994 ( 8)