[3830] NMQP K7IA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NMQP K7IA Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:15:28 -0800
                    New Mexico QSO Party

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Grant Cty, NM
Operating Time (hrs): 6:40

  160:
   80:    7
   40:   41     13
   20:  111     96
   15:    1
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  160    122        Mults =   Total Score = 55,770

Club:

Comments:

The QSO Party began with surprisingly good 20 meter QSO rates, owing to the
seemingly greater number of  participants over last year's event.  The start
time was early enough to allow EU operators to participate and add to 20 meter
mults.  However, the start time (0800 local) was too late for any action on the
low bands, making it difficult to accumulate NM county mults, at least to this
operator (I worked a total of 9 counties without even working my own, Grant.
N2IC, where were you??!!).

Twenty meters seemed unstable with skip running from short to very long and
with corresponding bouts of deep (and long duration) QSB.  But when the skip
was "just right," I worked a number of QRP stations on both CW and SSB that had
surprisingly strong signals.  Thanks to the ops with good ears during QSB
nadirs!

Fifteen meters was essentially dead every time I checked it, even though
propagation software (HamCap) displayed favorable maps--the difference between
theory and reality.  I didn't bother to check 10 meters.

Principally a CW op, I bounced between CW and Phone whenever the supply of new
callsigns seemed to be exhausted.  There wasn't much room on 20 or 40 meter SSB
for those calling for the NMQP, and both phone bands were generally busy with
other activities.  Many thanks to the SSB ops who found my low power signal
between the spectrum mountains of higher power stations!

Eighty meters offered a few Qs and some New Mexico mults, but by the time 80
became worthwhile to work, the Super Bowl had begun, leaving only Major League
Baseball fans to provide the last few QSO's.  The QSO Party was functionally
finished somewhere in the first quarter, suggesting a need for more Digital
Video Recorders within the amateur radio community!

Muchas gracias to all who participated!

73, dan k7ia