[3830] ARRLDX CW PI4TUE M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pa5mw@home.nl
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW PI4TUE M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:19:17 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PI4TUE
Operator(s): ON9CC, PE2HD, PC5A, PA5MW
Station: PI4TUE

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Eindhoven
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   83    29
   80:  261    42
   40:  866    55
   20:  999    59
   15:  933    58
   10:
-------------------
Total: 3142   243  Total Score = 2,290,518

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

PI4TUE is the contest club call for the Technical University of Eindhoven.

Antennas: 160m sloper@220ft (RX: 5ft vertical@200ft), 80m full size horizontal
loop@220ft, 40m 1/4 GP @200ft, 20-10 3el SteppIR
Rig: Ten-Tec ORION
Power: 400w from Acom 1000

Wow! This was big fun. Some of us love this contest even more than CQWW.
Finally we made some substantial progress compared to our past entries; at 1000
QSO's extra this year we have moved from the back end to the middle(ish). Whatch
out for us next year ;)

What went very well:

Antennas
The  new 3el SteppIR is a big improvent over the 15yrs old 3el compromise
trapped(read: noisy) yagi.  Next the 80m dipole at 220ft was replaced by a full
size 80m horizontal loop at 200ft along the roof perimeter of the building
(thanks to PA3DSC, PA0IB, PE2HD and PA3FGA).
But there is room for improvement in the RX antennas on 40-160m.

Rig
The ORION's user ergonomics offered its merits to all operators. Especially the
setup for audio (main=both ears, sub RX =right only) and the volume knobs
(toggle for audio on/off) was much appreciated for operating RUN/S&P between
main and sub receiver with help of N1MM contesting software; Single Band SO2R
in one box so to speak.
The station has no true SO2R capabilities. Another challenge for the future.

Being focussed
All operators were sharp from start till end. We strained for the best (band)
strategy and our senior contest op succesfully learned us additional tricks on
the fly.

Food, coffee, sleep, etc.
There was plenty of it all and the couches in the 'lounge' were comfortable for
a quick nap.

What went not so well:

Pin 1 issues
We use some 5pc's, various audio routing, external equipment and zillion
connections for different set-ups in the shack. Our headphones showed all kinds
of strange varying noises, rattles and hum. Definitely a challenge for the
future.

Lockup/crashes
Related to the above; WinKey locked up the N1MM programm. The ORION needed 4
power cycles (3 for no RX and 1 for no TX).

All in all a very memorable contest.
Thanks to Martin PA3DSC and Steef PA0IB for maintaining a great club station.

See you in the phone contest.
73 Mark, PA5MW