[3830] ARRLDX SSB KV4FZ SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, herbs@vitelcom.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KV4FZ SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:56:03 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: U.S. Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

  160:  626    58
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  626    58  Total Score = 108,924

Club:

Comments:

Great returns first night but second night very slow.  Nearly doubled last
year's score however.  Missed SK, VY1,NU, and VO2 but that is to be expected on
160, right?  A special thanks to VE4EAR and W7XU (SD) who gave me WAS which
isn't easy on SSB for DX on 160 meters.  At times my only calls were from
Europe but with N1MM I would switch to the DX logger so they had a SSB contact
with the Virgin Islands in that log.  N1MM and the gang really have some nice
contest software that performed flawlessly.  Thanks to all who kept calling
even though I had a couple of high static downpours.  For some reason the KD9SV
reverse Beverage had less rain static and was my best antenna even though
pointed NNW.  Occasionally the DXE Reverse NW Beverage and the W straight
single wire 600 footer made a difference on the West Coast. But as the man says
you can't have enough RX antennas on 160.

My TX was a top loaded 85 foot tower with a long boom modified Cushcraft A3
with a Hy-Gain EX-14 driven element, put together from the remains of several
antennas after three hurricanes. On the second night I dozed off (with my CQ
.wav file contest parrot calling away) after working VE7IG at 05:15 only to be
called by WE9R at 05:45 who had a booming voice and said "Herb wake up!  Did
you have a nice sleep?" Maybe someone will come up with a N1MM logger
application that will hook up to a shock collar sending me a little buzz after
5 minutes of inactivity after incessant CQ's....well I lost 30 minutes during a
good time but that is contesting on 160 in the middle of the night. A very
comfortable reclining chair is nice but contributed to falling a sleep for
sure.   Still don't now how I ever did 40 hours straight 40 years ago. Working
most of Saturday didn't help either.