[3830] MiQP K8MR/M Mobile Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] MiQP K8MR/M Mobile Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:31:43 -0700
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, AC8E
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: 24 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:  207     85
   40:  391     69
   20:  142     24
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  740    178  CW Mults = 64  Ph Mults = 57  Total Score = 200,618

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

By county, in order of operation:

CTY    CW  SSB
MIDL   22   2
GLAD   27   3
BAY    32   0
AREN   27   6
OGEM   30   8
IOSC   26   4
ALCO   37   8
CRAW   44  20
ROSC   54  21
KALK   15   3
MISS   43  19
WEXF   31  13
OSCE   25   1
CLAR   32   4
ISAB   20   2
MECO   30   7
MCLM   39   2
GRAT   59   3
CLIN   30   3
SHIA   27   5
INGH   11  10
LIVI   12  14
WASH   26   3

S/P/C  39  29
CTY    25  28

Another nice visit to Michigan. The weather was colder than the past few years
and rather windy, but it was a good day for everyone else to be playing radio
and not mowing their lawns. I often see my last snow of the year on my MiQP
trip, in some shady areas in the very north. This year we saw snow, but in the
form of a few flurries in the air.

This year with K8IR covering the northern part of the lower peninsula were were
able to do a nice compact route around the central lower peninsula. I
successfully used the "gray line" mode of route planning: if a non-numbered
road is shown on the state road map (as a gray road) it is probably a decent
road. Found a nice such shortcut through Alcona and an good efficient route
through Kalkaska and Missaukee. I needed to be back to Cleveland for some early
family events on Sunday, so we ended the contest closer to Ohio than in most
years. Sort of a waste putting on common places like Livingston and Washtenaw,
but I couldn't afford to end up any further north.

The sunspots that have been around most of the year of course disappeared for
MiQP, but still conditions seemed pretty good by recent year standards. 40 was
a bit shorter, with guys in places like Indy and Cleveland being loud for much
of the day. But most of the rest of MI was missing on 40.  However we were
prepared with both 80 and 75 available full time, and on 80 CW with the help of
the mobile frequency on 3545 we were able to find some activity throughout the
day, and move most of those guys to SSB. Worked N9NE several times, and W8CAR
and WI9WI once each among the other mobiles.

It was fun watching, and being part of, the horserace between N4PN and N0IJ.
Both were very good at finding me and moving me between modes. DL3DXX showed up
a lot in my log, as did OM2VL. I even had three 80 meter qsos with OM2VL, and on
the last one, ten minutes before the end, he was pushing S9 on my meter.

The bummer of the trip was a qso with a deer on M66 in Mecosta county around
0100z. Body shop estimate is $2600 (covered by insurance), but luckily we were
able to continue the drive home, carefully watching the temperature gauge all
the way.

Our score was up about 10% from recent years, and if it holds up with log
checking will be the second highest in my 11 years of MiQP mobile operations.
Thanks to all who participated.  Hope to see you all in the Ohio QSO Party on
August 28, and possibly from West Virginia in June if I can find a bike riding
driver/operator to make it a twofer trip.

73  -  Jim   K8MR