[3830] CaQP N8UM SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP N8UM SOFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 15:33:12 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: N8UM
Operator(s): N8UM
Station: N8UM

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   53      9
   40:   75     87
   20:  102     78
   15:   76     60
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

It has been 28 years since I had any beams or towers but I still feel I have a
right to whine about it and use it as an excuse for my mundane scores.  However
my 40 meter 4 square rocks.  I used it on 40, 20 and 15 with a kw out and it was
great fun.

Another new experience is 40 meter phone.  My gosh, it is like 10 meters, miles
of empty quiet frequency when pointing west.  The 4 square lets me adjust the
pattern slightly when an annoying rf noise appears and give me a perfectly
quiet frequency to hear weak W6â??s.

While the Texas and Tennessee QSO parties have great mobile organization, the
CQP has always had great portable opâ??s and this year their hallmark was the
multi op W6X calls (and let us not forget the contribution of the K6AQL mobile
group over many years).  It is always much fun and the 5 empty wine bottles are
not bad either.

I checked 10 meters constantly between 1600 and 1900 Z but no joy.  I also
learned that the K3 remembers settings on each band.  I had left the XIT on the
night before the test while working a Nigerian station on 80 meters and was
shocked when I could not work anyone at 0300 on 80.  It took me a half an hour
to figure out I had a 1 kc xmit offset and that was part of why N5KO CQâ??ed in
my face.

Great test as always with good activity.