[3830] CaQP K6XN M/MFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K6XN@ATT.NET
Subject: [3830] CaQP K6XN M/MFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 10:18:36 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: K6XN
Operator(s): K6XN, K6YN, K6ON
Station: K6XN

Class: M/MFixed HP
QTH: NEVA
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    2      2
   80:    7    216
   40:         255
   20:   79    467
   15:   17     44
   10:
    6:           1
    2:
--------------------

Club:

Comments:

This was a casual operating effort by our team this year but a serious effort
and a lot of time was spent putting together our first multi-multi attempt
using four rebuilt old generators, five rebuilt laptops, a new WriteLog TCP/IP
WiFi linked logging and dupe checking system and familiarizing the operators
with the nuances of using WriteLog. Murphy visited several times but we were
able to handle all of the problems and solve them. (Yes it did rain at 5000
feet during CQP as usual on CQP weekends at our location).

We were primarily interested this CQP in having fun working people on SSB in
the CQP and also demonstrating to K6ON's grandson William how much fun ham
radio can be. William is studying for his ham license and he actually operated
K6XN (under his Grandpa's supervision) this CQP and William did well. We all
expect that William will be operating in more contests and that he will soon
earn his license and become an NCCC member like his Grandpa K6ON :-).

We were primarily using antique radio equipment ranging from 20 to 40 years old
this CQP that we had restored: an antique homebrew 3-1000Z amplifier for 40M, an
antique homebrew dual 3-500Z amplifier for 80M, a beautiful old Alpha 76PA for
20M, 15M and 10M, and oldies but goodies: two Icom IC-751A transceivers, an
Icom IC-745 transceiver and an old beloved Kenwood TS-820S transceiver. The
three main generators were also old Generac 4000  4KW+  generators that we
rebuilt over the summer (we even replaced the intake and exhaust valves in
one).

We are still celebrating that everything actually worked and also the great
meals (e.g K6ON prepared an outstanding lamb chop dinner for us using pineapple
juice and almost an entire bottle of Dewars Scotch plus "secret sauce" Wow!!!!
And K6YN's contester morning burritos with "mystery meat" are always a pleasant
surprise. This is the first time I have ever had spinach and garlic in a burrito
though but it went well with the "mystery meat". The meals although outstanding
are not necessarily advised for high QSO rates immediately following ingestion
particularly after Merlot :-). We were still able to make a number of SSB
contacts for CQP from Nevada County though and neither bears (nor vampires)
visited us this CQP. Thanks for all the QSOs team and 73, Ted, K6XN