[3830] SS SSB W4NF SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4NF SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:47:39 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4NF
Operator(s): W4NF
Station: W4NF

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  721
   40:  350
   20:  382
   15:   25
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Over the past year I have experienced 2 lightening strikes close enough to
destroy or disable a fair amount of equipment.  Through repairs and replacement
I have been able to get the station back in top shape.  I have been operating
the SS Phone contests from my brother Billy's W4RM station over the past few
years but I decided to see what I could do from my own station which is a
little smaller in size than his.

This year I also added a full wave 80 Meter horizontal loop for the contest to
augment the 80 Meter dipole at 85'.  This was a good decision as the loop did
very well at both the beginnings and end of the daylight periods and also at
certain times during the night as compared to the dipole.

Using the second radio extensively I was able to come close to the scores that
I produced from W4RM were I used the second radio much less.  While 80 Meters
provides the bulk of our contacts from the east coast it is not an enjoyable
experience with the malicious interference, the name calling, the threats and
general hate from the Ham's that actually "own" the frequencies on 80 Meters.
I had one person call me an idiot and an ***hole and threatened to interfer
with me for the rest of the contest unless I moved from 3695 as I was causing
him and his esteemed colleagues undo interference on 3690. Of course he never
identifed when asked but proceeded to use my call while spouting off profanity.
 I consider that normal 80 Meter crowd as the dregs of our Ham Radio society.  I
finally moved frequencies and almost quit for the evening but decided to
continue on for the last two hours.

Otherwise, it was an enjoyable contest.  See you in the pileups.  73, Jack W4NF

Rigs:  (2) FT 2000s (for SO2R)
Amps: Alpha 99 and Alpha 8410
Tuner:  Ameritron ATR-30
Contest Logging: N1MM
SO2R: DXDoubler
DVK: MFJ-434B
RTTY:  (2) mircoHAM USB II interface
Mic/Headphone: Heil Proset with HC 4 Element
Paddles: Bencher and March R3 Paddle
Rotor Controllers: Two Ham 4 Controllers

Antennas
â?¢     160 Meter Inverted L (with 60 ground radials)
â?¢     80 Meter Dipole @ 85â??
â?¢     80  Meter Fullwave Horizontal Loop at 45â??
â?¢     40 Meter Cushcraft 40-2CD @ 75â?? (rotatable)
â?¢     20/15/10 Meters Force 12 C3E @ 87â?? (rotatable)
        Force 12 C3E @ 58â?? (rotatable)
        Force 12 C3E @ 25â?? (fixed Northeast or West for SS)
        (Effectively 2/2/2 on 20, 2/2/2 on 15 and 4/4/4 on 10)
â?¢     Receive Reversible 500â?? Beverages NE/SW and NW/SE

Tower
â?¢     Rohn 25G 75â??
â?¢     Guyed with 1/4â?? EHS at 3 places on the tower
â?¢     Top guy @ 90â?? from tower base
        Middle and Bottom guys @ 60â?? from tower base
â?¢     Main Rotor â?" Ham IV
â?¢     Sidewinder Side mount with Ham II
â?¢     (2) 700â?? long runs of Hardline (3/4â?? 75 ohm and 7/8â?? 50 ohm)
â?¢     24â?? Chrome Molly Steel Mast

Antenna Switching, Stacking and Feed Lines
â?¢     6 x 2 Array Solutions SixPak
â?¢     Stack Match (all 3 tribanders are connected to the Stack Match)
â?¢     Dual Feed line Option (Splits stack â?" Upper antenna from bottom 2)
â?¢     Feed Lines: (2 ) 700' 3/4" 75 Ohm CATV