[3830] NAQP CW W5KFT(K5PI) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rb@austin.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W5KFT(K5PI) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 06:20:54 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W5KFT
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: W5KFT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 9:42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   59    28
   80:  113    40
   40:  307    53
   20:  322    47
   15:  175    40
   10:    4     2
-------------------
Total:  980   210  Total Score = 205,800

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: CTDXCC Jalapenos

Comments:

Setup was especially hectic this time.  I had to try three computers before I
found one that could see my new LPT port card without -- without any new
issues.  But I finally got TR up and talking to both radios and both newly
repaired band decoders.  Also, my usual rigs are in the shop, so I used N5AW's
746Pro and K5TWJ's 756ProII.  I'd given myself two hours to set up and needed
all that -- and another 6 minutes to get on the air.

I did only one radio the first hour, while I reacquainted myself with the
Icoms.  (Uh, where do you set the sidetone? Different menu on the 746Pro.)  So
I got off to a bit of a slow start.  I may have missed some brief opportunties
on 10M as I got up to speed.  I did manage to work WA, but probably could have
made some other moves.

I'd planned to run 20M a bit longer than I did, but I found a great frequency
on 40M at 2335Z and decided I'd better hold on tight.  40 was great and gave me
three 100+ hours.

The low bands were pretty good.  I checked 160 a little after 0300Z and found
it full of signals.  I think I worked that band a little harder than I usually
do.  It started raining, but the bands didn't get too noisy until the last hour
when the thunder and lightning rolled in.  I had planned to operate the last 15
minutes of the contest, but the storm was too close, so I unplugged everything
and called it a night.

After the first hour or so, I felt pretty much in the zone for the rest of the
contest.  I tended to err on the side of rate this time, and so I expect I may
be down on mults.  Thanks for all the moves!